"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief...and of unspeakable love."
~Washington Irving

Ryan's Story

Monday, October 4, 2010

Grief

Grief - I have studied it and talked to many families about it, but nothing has ever prepared me for the overwhelmingness of it. Two weeks ago I was preparing to come home from the hospital with empty arms, arms that are still empty and physically ache to hold my child. It is hard to find the words to explain all of the feelings. There are times when I just feel empty. Other times, I get angry and frustrated. There are moments when I feel like others expect me to just be "over" Ryan. I can't. For 7 months, Ryan was part of me and I carried him. I have come to realize, that I already knew his personality. Ryan was quiet and comfortable. He would have been my cuddler. He didn't move around much, once he found a good spot, he stayed there. He curled his legs up and tucked his head down, but I could find him, and now I can't. I will wake up, expecting and yearning to hear cries of my child, but there will just be silence. We will be doing something as a family and I will realize that someone is missing. I know he is watching over us, but I will be honest, in my mind and heart, he should be here, he belongs with us. I get jealous and sad when I see other young babies, I watch them smile at their parents and I feel robbed. I didn't even get to see my child's eyes. I know I should be grateful for the time I had, and please don't think I am not, but there are so many things I lost. I get frustrated with myself, because I know my grief is affecting my ability to care for Sean. It is a personal struggle, because right now, my thoughts are consumed with Ryan. I love Sean and his sweet smile is a light in the darkness. If it wasn't for Sean and Scott, I doubt I would get out of bed.



I lost my son. My husband lost his son. Sean lost his little brother. We lost his laughter, his smile, his cries. We lost the chance to take him to the park, to take him to football games, to run around the back yard. We lost the opportunity to watch him learn to crawl and walk. When people see us, it is just assumed that we are a family of three, but we are not and we will never be again.



I know Ryan is with God and I am thankful that I will be able to see him again. I do find comfort in knowing that Ryan is healed. But please know that for all the comfort that brings, my arms are empty. I am home on maternity leave, recovering, without a baby. It is not that I just want a baby, I want my son, the son I carried and loved.



I found this quote soon after I learned of Ryan's diagnosis and it spoke to my heart then and I wanted to share it -



"Go ahead and mention my child.

The one that died, you know.

Don't worry about hurting me further.

The depth of my pain doesn't show.

Don't worry about making me cry.

I'm already crying inside.

Help me to heal by releasing the tears that I try to hide.

I'm hurt when you just keep silent,

Pretending he [she] didn't exist.

I'd rather you mention my child,

Knowing he [she] has been missed.

You asked me how I was doing.

I say "pretty good" or "fine".

But healing is something ongoing

I feel it will take a lifetime." ~ Elizabeth Dent

2 comments:

  1. Hi. First let me say that,you do not know me, we have never met. I stumbled upon your blog quite randomly a couple of months ago and I have been praying for your family ever since. I won't pretend to know your pain, or say I understand because you know that don't, I can't. Not only do I not understand, I can't even imagine and don't even like to think about what every day must be like for you right now. I recently suffered a miscarriage, which is not a comparison to your or Ryan's story,but still very, very tough. A woman is bonded to her child from the moment she learns they are there, there is no other human relationship quite like it.

    After my miscarriage I had many of the same feelings you described above. People would say, "Well at least you know you can get pregnant, you can try again." Ugh- I thought if I heard that one more time I was going to scream! I wanted to say and sometimes did depending on the day, "Yes I know that it might seem that knowing I can get pregnant again is a comfort,but it's not. I wanted to know this baby, I wanted to hold and snuggle and wipe tears from this baby. And I can't. That's what hurts, not whether or not I'll get pregnant again. I am not even worried about that right now. I am grieving THIS child!" I often tell people that I am mom, my husband and I are parents; we just don't have earthly children to show for it. (That baby would have been our first.) But, that baby changed my life forever, and made me look at life in a completely different way.

    You may have heard of Angie Smith's book I Will Carry You, but if you haven't it is a great book written by a woman with a very similar situation to yours. Her husband is also in a Christian music group called, Selah, and they have a wonderful song called I Will Carry You, as well. When you are ready, you may want to look into them. I listen to the song on my way to work almost daily:
    "There were photographs I wanted to take,
    Things I wanted to show you.
    Sing sweet lullabies
    Wipe your teary eyes
    Who could love you like this?

    People say that I am brave but I'm not
    Truth is I'm barely hanging on
    But there's a greater story
    Written long before me
    Because He loves you like this

    So I will carry you
    While your heart beats here
    Long beyond the empty cradle
    Through the coming years
    I will carry you
    All my life
    And I will praise the One
    Who's chosen me
    To carry you

    Such a short time
    Such a long road
    All this madness but I know
    That the silence
    Has brought me to his voice
    And He says

    I've shown her photographs
    Of time beginning
    Walked her through the parted seas
    Angel lullabies
    No more teary eyes
    Who could love her like this?

    So I will carry you
    While your heart beats here
    Long beyond the empty cradle
    Through the coming years
    I will carry you
    All your life
    And I will praise the one
    Who's chosen me
    To carry you"
    -Todd and Angie Smith,Christa Wells

    I will continue to pray for you and your family. I pray that the Lord would give a peace that surpasses all understanding, and heal your heart from the aching it feels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of you daily and pray for you every day, throughout the day. I know it may seem as though others have gone on with their lives but I haven't. I am here for you. I contemplated on whether or not to share the thoughts below with you. I wrote this before going to Ryan's funeral but now feel God moving me to share it with you.

    Ryan James went to be with Jesus on September 17th. Jennifer and Scott were able to spend two hours with their beautiful baby boy before he died. As a mother to two young children, my heart breaks for them. I have the image of holding my own child (if I were in her situation) and watching my baby peacefully drift off to heaven.

    I can barely hold back the tears right now but I felt I must get these thoughts off of my chest. Jennifer is a true woman of God. She has remained faithful during this difficult time,counting her blessings along the way.

    I never knew before this tragic situation what strong Christians, Jennifer and Scott are. Jennifer is very private person and through the months has been able to share her thoughts and emotions on her own blog.

    On Saturday, Brad and I will attend baby Ryan James’ funeral. I am praying for strength because I know this will be very difficult for me. I want this moment to be about their family. I want to be supportive. I don’t want to be a basket case and selfishly think of myself and how I would feel if I was in this situation. I want to celebrate Ryan’s life and rejoice in the fact that he is in heaven, remembering that Jennifer and Scott will be reunited with their son one day.

    As my Sunday School teacher said so eloquently this past Sunday, “Love by bearing pain and celebrating joys.” “Love when it is inconvenient, when it is hard”, “Love by encouraging toward eternal things.”

    I pray that I will be able to love Scott and Jennifer as Christ loved. May I remember what loving someone is truly about. May God bless their family.

    Please pray for this courageous woman as she strives to trust in the Lord through this difficult journey.

    ReplyDelete