"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief...and of unspeakable love."
~Washington Irving

Ryan's Story

Monday, April 25, 2011

Hurts

Warning, this is not a happy post. This is not a feel good post. This is a mom who is overwhelming frustrated with herself. This is a mom who is letting the tears flow. This is a mom whose heart aches and normally only shares part of the hurt, who is scared to admit to everything, scared to face all the thoughts that run through my head.

I have said that I don't regret anything about my decision to carry ryan in spite of the terminal diagnosis. But what I don't talk about are the regrets I do have. I don't like to talk about them because I want to feel like I truly treasured every moment of my time with Ryan. But they are there, no matter how much I try to ignore them. So now, I am giving myself over to them with the hope that if I write about them, it will release them.

I regret that I was upset that Ryan's due date was at Thanksgiving. At the time, I was feeling selfish and did not want to miss spending my favorite holiday with my family. Turns out I got to spend it with my family and now I am so angry with myself for having those thoughts! How could I have ever felt that way!

I regret not talking to Ryan more during the pregnancy. I have never been one of those moms to talk to my child while they are in my belly, but why didn't I do it when I knew it was the only time I had! Why didn't I tell him the stories of his mom and dad? Why didn't I tell him about his big brother? Why didn't I tell him about all the places we took him? Why did his big brother talk to him and tell him stories more than his mommy?

I regret not taking more pictures when I was pregnant and had Ryan with me! I only have two pictures! It is like my time with him is missing!

I am struggling with functioning as a mom. I disappoint and frustrate myself every day. We are going through a very trying phase with Sean right now and every day I struggle to just figure out how to be an effective parent, how to be a loving mom, how to set boundaries but allow choices so that my son grows up as a compassionate, loving, independent individual. Yes, I know that he is 4 and I am doing the best I can. Just right now, it's not good enough. I want to blame it on something - stress at work, grief, being tired - but none of that makes my heart feel better.

There it is, all out there, maybe now my heart can start to heal.

5 comments:

  1. I hope writing this down does bring you more peace... I find that my regrets are the absolute hardest to write down but it always helps - even in a small way sometimes. I regret that I didn't talk with Gabrielle more when I was pregnant but try to believe that she can hear me from somewhere now. Love to you always xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand how you feel. I can honestly say that everything on your regret list is on my mine with 5 or 6 more things. Talking/writing about it does help. I hope it brought you peace.

    Thinking of you and sending you hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are finding your peace... I think it's normal to have regrets, we are given such a short time to get everything 'right'. I have so many things I wish I would have done differently.
    Sending Love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure how I came to your blog, but I just feel that I need to post today. My little Isaac was born still 2 months ago today. I have found the experiences of others to be so strengthening to me. Thanks for posting. I have similar regrets, especially no pictures of my pregnancy. I don't have a single one, and it just pains me. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fact that you had the guts to post this!! I hate that I am mostly scared to post HOW I FEEL... I dont want people to pitty me, or to freak out that I may not be coping RIGHT...like there is a RIGHT way. Thank you for saying all those things!! It really does help!! HUGS & love to you!

    ReplyDelete