"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief...and of unspeakable love."
~Washington Irving

Ryan's Story

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Would I have dared

Have you ever wondered, what if I could see the future? Or what if I had seen my future in my past? If at the age of 15, 18, 20, I had seen what life had in store for me?

I would have seen a wedding with my best friend. I would have seen the ups and downs of marriage. I would have seen the satisfaction of a job well down. The heartache of friendships lost. The pride in the purchase of a home. The stress of financial struggles. I would have seen the tried and true friendships and the new friends that would come into my life. I would have seen joys, fears, anxiety, hope.

I would have seen my boys. I would have seen my child's grave. I would have heard my son's laughter and I would have seen my other son's few breaths.

If I had seen these things, what would I have noticed? What would I have focused on? Would my heart have swelled with joy, love, and the amazing blessings in my life? Or would I have found my self suffocated in fear?

I can look back now grateful for the opportunity to have carried Ryan for 29 weeks 5 days, grateful for the 3 breaths I saw him take, grateful for the 1 hour 57 minutes of his beautiful life. But if before I was ever pregnant, I knew my child's life on earth would be that brief, would I have given myself over to the journey. How I would like to say a resounding YES! But I don't know that I would have, I don't know that I would have looked beyond the fear, anxiety and grief to see the joy and peace...and I would have missed out on a beautiful child.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. There are moments I think of a memory of my past. I cannot help but automatically think, I cannot believe there was a time that I DIDNT know this feeling. That I never thought this life would be mine.

    But it is. And I think I would rather NOT see the future. It would have made for a really hard road up until this point. :)

    The future is Gods. We can leave it up to Him. :)

    ReplyDelete